The Island Life - Belize
Unbelizeable Birding in Belize
Did you know Belize is a favorite Central American birding spot? Because of our ideal climate, as many as 600 different species of birds have been recorded throughout the country! Around 80% of the birds in Belize are here year-round, while the other 20% migrate from North America between January and April to escape the harsh winter, or South America during the Belizean summer months.
While you can spot birds all over the mainland and cayes, the Belize Audubon Society has identified seven Important Birding Areas (IBAs). Portions of these areas are located within protected areas.
The seven areas include:
- Blue Hole National Monument
- Half Moon Caye Natural Monument
- Guanacaste National Park
- Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary
- St. Herman's Blue Hole National Park (book an excursion with us to check it out!)
- Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sactuary
- Victoria Peak Natural Monument
Some Endangered Bird species:
Golden-cheeked wood warblers
Some interesting species found in Belize:
- Acorn woodpeckers - Agami herons - Bare-throated tiger herons - Blue-diademed motmots - Gray-necked wood rails Limpkins - Great blue herons - Harpy eagles - Laughing falcons - Scarlet macaws - Toucans (the national bird) - Vermillion flycatchers - White-whiskered puffbirds -Snowy egrets
TIP: Download the Belize Birds Field Guide app on your phone to help you identify and learn about the birds you spot during your trip!
You can experience the best of bird watching and relaxation by booking our "Twice the Paradise" package. You'll spend 3 nights at Caves Branch Jungle Lodge & Adventure Camp where you can choose two full-day guided adventures, one of which could be their Bird Watching Adventure! Your birding tours at Caves Branch are sure to be amazing as they count over 200 species in a 24 hour period. After your three adventurous nights in the jungle, you'll hop over to St. George's Caye for 4 nights of relaxation and pampering on the island.
We hope to see you in the sun and trees very soon!
St. George's Caye Resort is located 7 miles by boat transfer from the Belize City marina.
We look forward to seeing you in the sun!
Questions? Contact us today +1- 507.380.9344 or Toll Free 1-800-813-8498
Email our friendly reservations specialist, Lisa at
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.